Thursday, August 7, 2008

This Summer Rocked

"Lord, teach me to number my days so that I may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12

I lived by this verse in a unique way this summer. I literally numbered my days by buying 100 rocks that represented my 100 days of summer and put them in a canister at my desk. Each day, I took one rock with me, prayed over it, and left it in a meaningful place.

In a notebook, I recorded my activities for each day, my prayer, and where I left my rock. It literally became a road map of my summer.

As I review my summer and reflect on the incredible life change that has occurred in such a short period of time, I can highlight a few particularly poignant moments:

Day 12 of 100 Days of Summer
I was invited by Switchfoot to the Jay Leno show to watch them perform their new song "This is Home" from the Chronicles of Narnia. I sat with Switchfoot's family during the show and had an incredible time in Hollywood with Dennis. What a unique and special opportunity!

Day 18 of 100 Days of Summer
After 2 weeks of waiting hopefully, I was accepted as a summer intern in the High School Ministry! I was so excited to become part of a team that I so admired and respected.

Day 21 of 100 Days of Summer
My friend and I had an extra computer monitor and a mini fridge, so we dragged them behind my car and lit them on fire. We had no reason to do so, but it was such an exciting and crazy experience... dangerous, but fun!

Day 35 of 100 Days of Summer
My first day at work... I dressed up like Jim Halpert from The Office. For me, it was a dream come true to come into a ministry team with my great friends and people whom I trust, respect, and love. It was my honor to give back to the ministry that changed my life.
Also, Petty spoke at Crave about God's plan to bring his creation back to him, even from the initial fall of man. He revealed to me a huge Truth about God and His plan for us.

Day 36 of 100 Days of Summer
Jason Petty took me out to coffee and asked me, "Kyle, what do you want to learn this summer?" I was blown away by his care and initiative to want to impact my life, even if I was only there for a summer.

Day 37 of 100 Days of Summer
In the 6:30 HSM service, students who made a commitment to ministry texted their names to my phone, and we threw their names onto the big screen during the last song. What a cool moment for them and us!

Day 45 of 100 Days of Summer
We held Checkbook Tours at the Refinery. Doug let me be the "closer" and give the money pitch to 3 different groups of people. I love that he trusted me enough to allow me that amazing opportunity... he's an inspirational leader.

Day 51 of 100 Days of Summer
Just as I crept over the halfway point of summer, the Refinery opened! This state of the art, 51,000 square foot, $20 million student building will change thousands of lives. My heart rejoices for the many students who will be different because of this huge tool that God has placed in our hands. I love that our students now have a place to call home.

Day 61 of 100 Days of Summer
Today was my grandma's funeral. My heart was saddened, but joyful with the knowledge that she is finally free. I am so thankful to have met Sam Lewis; he astounds me! Jason Petty, Josh Pease, and Josh Griffin attended, which warmed my soul. They are such compassionate men seeking God's heart.

Day 70 of 100 Days of Summer
My family went to Palm Springs for vacation. We rented sea-doos and spent the entire day on the lake! Sea-dooing is one of my favorite activities; it's such a rush!
I love being with my family and creating positive memories that we'll look back on with joy.

Day 78 of 100 Days of Summer
This was the last day of the PDYM Student Leadership Conference. Leading a hotel room with 3 guys was an awesome learning experience. I loved getting to know them; all 3 were exceptional. They're my favorite! I know that one guy in particular will be my friend for life.

Day 98 of 100 Days of Summer
My last day working in the HSM Office. The other summer interns and I held a meeting where we thanked by 1) playing a video we made that captured all the fun memories of the summer 2) giving them each a unique gift that had a meaning behind it and reflected our appreciation for their character, love, and overall person.

Day 100 of 100 Days of Summer
Today I head back to APU after my last 2 services as an intern. While everyone goes to Ojai Summer Camp, I will be training for ASB this upcoming year. My heart is invested completely in Saddleback, and I have no desire to leave, so it will be hard. However, I must take what I've learned this summer and apply it as I start the new year.

This was absolutely, positively, no-doubt the best summer of my entire life. I met some life-changing people, found out some truths about life, and began a journey in ministry that will continue for a very long time.

By intentionally grabbing a rock each morning out of my rock jar, I forced myself to live differently. I could not waste one single day! Each day is a new beginning and has significant importance. I tried to live like I was dying. What if I only had 100 days to live? Once I had such a passionate "seize the day" perspective, I started to truly live!

All in all, this summer literally rocked. I will never, ever be the same.

3 comments:

Dennis Beckner said...

This was a super sweet summer to watch you sacrifice so much in faith that God had great things in store for you. He definely honored your efforts with blessings. This is your life. You're becoming who you want to be!

Andy Lawrenson said...

Don't know you dude but that was an awesome idea and obviously had a huge impact on your life this summer. Rock on.

Ilene said...

What a great testimony to all of us. Even though it is difficult to return to APU, I promise this will be the best year yet.