Friday, June 13, 2008

Know-Nothing

Youth ministry is complicated. It's tough, difficult, and never ending.

I know nothing.

Everyday I interact with youth workers who have had an extensive history of ministering to students, some for a few months and some for 30 years. I am surrounded by huge minds that are full of wisdom on teaching students.

I know nothing.

Yesterday I started reading Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry and Next Generation Leader as I begin to learn the fundamentals of what it means to be a youth minister and a next generation leader. Fields has so many nuggets of wisdom to take away from just the introduction that I'm blown away, yet inspired by his youth ministry experience. Stanley talks with such knowledge and clarity on the topic of leadership. I can't wait to see what these two great minds have to say.

It's incredibly humbling to realize that I know absolutely nothing, but I'm learning, not only from books but with real, in-the-trenches experience. Leaders are learners, and I'm working on both.

1 comment:

Dennis Beckner said...

After 14 years in youth ministry I still find myself thinking, "Why didn't I think of that". I love your passion to learn. It's good to see you in a place where you don't have all the answers, but you're going after them. You're the man, Dennis